Small Animal Bulletin

title

The season is here for toxins and trauma! Make sure to keep your pet healthy this fall. Check out the most common hazards for your pet below:

Mushrooms—While most are not poisonous, some are life threatening. Depending on the type ingested, symptoms range from vomiting
and diarrhea to seizures and organ damage. Keep your yard free of mushrooms this fall.
Mothballs—They look innocent but are often deadly. Mothballs cause severe abdominal pain, tremors, weakness and organ failure. Put them away from furry paws and curious mouths. 
Antifreeze—This chemical tastes sweet to unsuspecting pets, but even a teaspoon to a cat or small dog is deadly. Within 12h of ingestion kidney failure is irreversible. Immediate treatment is critical for your pet.
Mouse/Rat Poison—Pets are experts at finding hidden objects. Rat poison is no exception. Rodenticides have evolved over the years and no longer cause just bleeding. Because all types are toxic, seek medical attention immediately if your pet ingests any known mouse or rat poison.
Compost—Recycling may be good for the environment, but it leads to seizures and death for pets. Compost piles contain mycotoxins that lead to neuorological damage when ingested.
Red Maple Leaf:
Leaf those trees alone! Our pets are not the only ones susceptible to toxins. Cattle and horses that ingest 1lb of red maples leaves can develop hemolytic anemia. While most animals will not eat these leaves unless they have no other food source, it is critical to monitor if your pasture has a lot of these trees.

Fall means cooler weather and beautiful leaves, but awareness leads to preparedness. Pet proof your home and yard to prevent a toxic mistake. If you feel your pet has been exposed, call immediately. (785)448-6454. 

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

Monday:

7:00 am

6:00 pm

Tuesday:

7:00 am

6:00 pm

Wednesday:

7:00 am

6:00 pm

Thursday:

7:00 am

6:00 pm

Friday:

7:00 am

6:00 pm

Saturday:

8:00 am

2:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed

Closed